Insulin resistance is the underlying cause of type 2 diabetes. We know we should eat healthier but the vast amount of choices are endless. What are the most effective natural remedies to reversing insulin resistance that we can apply?
Before we go into too much depth about insulin resistance I think it important to define a couple of things that may take the standard understanding of how this leads to health problems like diabetes, and turn it on its head. Lets start with an in-depth look at how this develops from the earliest stage to the most advanced:
IMPAIRED GLUCOSE TOLERANCE: This is really the earliest stage of insulin resistance and in the opinion of this author, the easiest to turn around. In the most simple solution you can ditch the processed foods in exchange for organic and see to it that you don’t include any sugar dense carbohydrates.
METABOLIC SYNDROME: This is where two thirds of the population has the most trouble and why so many turn to the fitness industry for solutions. Which exercise is indeed a key component but first you must understand what the underlying problem is. Ultimately your liver is churning out too much fat and sugar. Fat and sugar that cannot be processed appropriately into glycogen to be stored in your skeletal muscle. Without being absorbed properly it then shoots out into the blood stream to be stored as excess fat in areas like around the abdomen. Have high blood pressure? Increased glucose levels? Low HDL? High Triglycerides? Tick enough of these boxes and you have found yourself with Metabolic Syndrome.
TYPE 1 DIABETES: This has been known to develop in adolescent years, prior to the age of 20. The cause of this stage of diabetes is due in part to the destruction of insulin-producing cells in the pancrease by the immune system. Now, I have some bad news for you if this is you. Presently there is no known cure for this stage even though there are a few studies that could lead us that direction very soon. For this type of diabetes your body becomes insulin dependent and if left unchecked can result in a hyperglycemic coma. Sadly the solutions found in this article, although may help manage, will not provide a permanent solution. Though there are a lot of recent research that points to the problem not being about insulin so much as imbalanced gut flora and vitamin D deficiency.
TYPE 2 DIABETES: Here we have the next level of insulin resistance. Within most cases of diabetes patients this is the most common. The good news is that the pancreas is still producing insulin, it is just not being properly recognized and likely in too much quantity. The catalyst for this condition is again simple, too much sugar in the foods we eat.
SIGNS YOU HAVE INSULIN RESISTANCE
- High cholesterol
- Darkened patches in skin
- More weight around mid section
- Improper fat to cholesterol balance in the blood
Now there is a 3 stage which is only now just being considered and that is brain diabetes. This is where we find fogginess of mind, lack of clarity, and ultimately Alzheimer associated. Though there are still a lot of dots to connect there remains a logic in keeping a healthy diet.
NATURAL WAYS TO REDUCE INSULIN RESISTANCE
- High fiber
- Lean protein (but not in excess)
- Whole grains
- Leafy vegetables
- Healthy fats like those found in eggs, avocado, fish oil, tuna, and salmon
- Exercise (in moderation, don’t want too much cortisol floating around)
- Meditate (stress plays a big factor here)
- Probiotics (likely if you have any of the above mentioned conditions you either have a leaky gut or imbalance in gut flora. Time to fix that)
- Alpha lipoic acid
- Intermittent fasting
AVOID THESE OR IN MODERATION
- Glucose (moderation, we need this to survive but the problem remains in too much)
- Fructose (as in high fructose. If you see that in any product throw it away immediately)
- Sucrose (otherwise known as table sugar. You don’t need it, you’re sweet enough)
- Honey, maple syrup and molasses (moderation is key)
- Sugars from fruit (the best fruits are high in antioxidants and low in sugar, stick to those)
- Omega 6 (time to ditch the vegetable oil, canola, sunflower oil and all the rest of that garbage)
I hope you found this article on Natural Ways to Reverse Insulin Resistance helpful
Subscriber to our news feed for more informative articles such as these to help you get in the best shape of your life. And come visit us at Tiger Muay Thai one of Asia’s premiere weight-loss destinations. Our dedicated team of fitness professionals will support and lead you and can help blast away that unwanted fat and get you in the best shape of your life.